|My favorite vintage Chanel tassel bag|
I have been really inspired by tassels lately… Something about them reminds me of luxury and it is a fun and unexpected accessory to hang from a bag. I have been in desperate need of a new key chain and found this great Etsy shop that sells cute little tassel key chains for a really great price. Check them out here.
|Assortment of tassel color options|
|I went with the pink!|
Whenever I get inspired by something I ask myself “how can I make that?” I did a little research and found that tassels are super easy to make and a really unique way to accessorize. I made a few out of raffia to attach to my summer beach bag. Here is how to make them-
– Spool of raffia (you can make these out of any stringy material, I chose raffia because it is summery!)
– Sturdy cardboard or card stock, mine measured 4 x 5 inches
1. Wrap raffia around the longer part of the card board, the more times you wrap it the thicker the tassel will be. I wrapped mine 12 times.
2. Remove the wrapped raffia from the card board and tie a strand of raffia tightly around the center. This piece is what you will use to attach the tassel to whatever you are attaching it to so cut the length according to how long you want the tassel to hang. I cut mine 10 inches.
3. Cut the ends of the tassel. Don’t worry about evening them out yet, you can do that at the end.
4. Cut a piece of raffia about 12 inches long. Create a small loop just below the knot you have tied in the center and begin to tightly wrap that piece around the entire tassel until you reach the end. Secure the loose end through the loop you have made and trim any extra pieces. Now you can trim the tassel so it is all one length.
|The finished product!|
|Here are some of the first tassels that I made attached to my favorite beach bag.|
Stay tuned for how to make leather tassels. Perfect for fall!